On 15 July 2016, it has been confirmed that Lowcostholidays went into liquidation.
If you have booked a holiday with Lowcostholidays and need to change the dates of your cover on your policy, due to changing your trip arrangements, we can change this to cover your new holiday providing the new trip is within three months of your original departure date, is for the same (or no longer) duration and is to the same geographical area.
If your trip is cancelled and you are being fully refunded by your holiday company and so have no claim to make under this insurance, we will also consider the cancellation and refund of your existing policy. Please note that this will only apply to single trip policies for specific trips covering the dates concerned.
The insurance policies do not provide cover for situations of this nature. In most cases, we would advise you to contact your travel company to help you make alternative arrangements. We understand that in this instance it is the travel company that has gone into liquidation.
Customers should refer to their terms and conditions for full details of their travel insurance cover.
- Medical expenses – The failure of the travel company will have no bearing on the medical expenses cover
- Repatriation – The failure of the travel company will have no bearing on the medical expenses cover
- Cutting short your trip – There is no cover under the policy for cutting short your trip as a result of the failure of the travel company
- Cancellation – There is no cover under the policy for cancelling your trip as a result of the failure of the travel company
- Travel delay – The failure of the travel company will have no bearing on the delayed departure/travel delay cover
- Scheduled airline failure insurance (SAFI) – As described in the section, this only applies where a scheduled airline has gone into liquidation, which does not apply on this occasion. So no claims can be considered under this section
- Supplier failure – This cover is not available, as it only applies where elements of your trip are booked independently of a package with a travel company and only refer to the failure of the following:
- short let holiday accommodation providers (including hotels),
- car hire operators,
- ferry operators,
- coach operators,
- train operators
As we are sadly, therefore, unable to offer any cover in this instance, we can only advise customers already abroad to contact the travel company, or the local British Embassy, for assistance in returning home.
Please note that our advice remains valid until further notice.
If you have any queries, please get in touch with us.
FCDO Advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
For information on your local British Embassy in the country you are currently in, please go to the following website address and locate the relevant British Consulate/Embassy for assistance: