Get a travel insurance quote



    Additional Travellers

    You can add a maximum of 9 travellers

    What to do if your trip is affected by a terrorist attack

    Whether you’re due to travel soon or you’re abroad already, here’s how your travel insurance can help:

    • If you’ve been injured and need medical assistance because of the attack, call our 24-hour emergency medical team as soon as possible on +44 (0)207 748 8593 – we’ll tell you what to do.
    • If you can’t get to your return departure point in time because the attack causes public transport to fail, we’ll pay you extra reasonable costs of travel and accommodation you need to continue your trip. This applies to any part of your outward or final return journey which is supposed to depart within 36 hours of the start of your outward or return journey. (We call this cover ‘missed departure’ in our policy wording.)
    • If your personal belongings are damaged or go missing because of the attack, you can claim for these when you return home. Make sure you report any losses to the police (and hotel management if your baggage goes missing from your hotel). (We call this cover ‘personal belongings and baggage’ in our policy wording.)
    • If the FCDO’s travel advice for your destination changes to ‘all but essential travel’ as a minimum because of the attack, we’ll pay you for any unused travel and accommodation, and any necessary extra travel costs if you can’t cut your trip short. (We call this cover ‘cancelling and cutting short your holiday’ in our policy wording.)

    Bear in mind

    • You’ll need to check your policy terms and conditions to see exactly what cover your policy provides and how much you can claim for, as different policies vary.
    • We can only cover you for the scenarios above if you bought your policy or booked your trip before the attack happened and became public knowledge. If you bought your policy or booked your trip afterwards (when the attack happened and became publicly known in the news), we won’t be able to cover you.

    What to do

    • Check the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office’s website for advice on what to do
    • If you need to cancel or cut your trip short, get in touch with your holiday company or travel provider.
    • If you’re stuck overseas and you’re unable to return to the UK, your existing policy will automatically extend in line with the terms and conditions for up to 30 days to cover you until you’re reasonably able to return home.
    • If you’re still in the UK and you haven’t travelled yet, the following rules apply:
      • Where you can, you should try to get a full refund from your tour operator or travel agent. We’ll only consider non-refundable expenses on your travel insurance policy.
      • If you want to rearrange your trip dates, and provided you’re not making a claim for abandoning your trip, we can transfer your policy to cover the new trip as long as it’s within three months of your original departure date, is for the same or no longer duration, and is to the same geographical area.

    If you need to make a claim, you can do so by logging into your policy. If you’ve got any questions, please get in touch.

    Share This