HomeFrequently asked questions

We’ve made a page specifically for all of your Brexit questions.

We’ve also made a page specifically for all of your Coronavirus questions.

If you bought a policy with our sister company AllClear Travel Insurance on or after September 1st 2021, click here for support.

Alternatively, find the answer you’re looking for by choosing one of the categories below:

Common travel insurance FAQs

The travel agent/tour operator/airline company that I booked with has gone into administration. What should I do?

If your travel company goes into administration, please contact The Civil Aviation Authority, who should be able to help you under their ATOL scheme. You can contact them on:

UK: 0207 453 6700

If you are abroad and trying to get home
Just contact us and we can extend your cover until you return to the UK.

If you are yet to travel and would like cover for an alternative holiday
Just contact us within 30 days of the travel company going into administration, and we will do our best to move your insurance to cover your new travel dates.

I’ve lost my documents. How do I retrieve them?

Your policy documents will have been included with your confirmation email when you bought your policy. You may also have received them through the post if you chose that option when purchasing. If you have lost or are unable to retrieve your policy schedule, please contact us. You can also find copies of our policy wordings online.

What do I do if my passport is lost or stolen abroad?

You should report any loss or thefts of passports to the local police in the country you are in as soon as possible. You will need the crime reference details they provide for the LS01 (which is the Lost or Stolen Passport Notification) form. You should also report the loss or theft to the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) embassy, consulate or high commission of the country you are in. You can get details of your local FCDO office wherever you are by calling +44 (0)20 7008 1500 (0870 606 0290 within the UK) or by visiting the FCDO website. The FCDO will issue you with replacement travel documents so you can travel back to the UK.

When will my documents arrive through the post?

If you have chosen to have your policy documents posted to you, you should allow up to 10 days between you buying your policy and receiving your documents. However, we do always aim for your policy pack to be with you sooner. You can still travel with a printed copy of your emailed documents if the posted documents don’t arrive in time.

I have not received a policy card for my policy. Why is this?

We’re trying to be more environmentally friendly, so we no longer send out plastic policy cards. While they were handy, they weren’t really necessary; all your policy information is emailed to you, so you can have a copy of it wherever you go.

What do I need to take on holiday with me?

As a minimum, you should write down your policy number and the emergency contact details, so that you’ll have them ready if something goes wrong while you’re away. It’s advisable that you also take your travel insurance certificate and the relevant policy wording booklet away with you. In some countries, you may need to prove that you have travel insurance as a condition of entry – check the FCDO website for details.

You can travel with a printed copy of your emailed documents, or simply store them on your phone. 

How many times can I go away if I have an annual multi-trip policy?

When you buy annual multi-trip travel insurance  you are covered to go away as many times as you want. Don’t forget however that there is a maximum per trip duration, the length of which depends on the level of cover you have chosen.

Budget annual multi-trips – 31 days per trip

Silver and Gold annual multi-trips – 45 days per trip

Black annual multi-trips – 55 days per trip

(If you purchased your policy before 1st September 2021, please check your policy wording.)

Can we all travel independently on an annual multi-trip policy?

For InsureandGo policies purchased after 18th October 2021:

All adults on an annual policy can travel independantly. Children under 18 must be travelling with an adult also named on the policy in order to be covered.

For policies purchased before 1st September 2021:

Everyone on an annual travel insurance policy is entitled to travel independently, but children under 18 who travel alone must be dropped off and picked up by a responsible adult aged 18 or over.

What happens when my annual multi-trip policy expires?

We will write to you at least 21 days before your annual multi-trip policy expires to remind you that your policy is coming up for renewal. Where possible, we will renew your policy automatically to ensure that you have continuous cover. You can opt-out of automatic renewal at any time. If you have any questions about your renewal, please contact us to speak to a member of our team.

What vaccinations do I need?

In accordance with the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel advice online at www.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo you should check what vaccinations you need at least six weeks before you go.

Additionally, to check to see if you need to take any extra health precautions visit www.nhs.uk/travelhealth

Please be aware that we will not cover any claim arising from you not getting the necessary vaccinations. This includes claims related to Coronavirus if you are not up to date with the vaccinations recommended by the NHS.


What is the maximum age you can insure up to?

Our travel insurance policies have no upper age limit. However, unfortunately our additional winter sports cover is only available up to age 65.

What is a UK resident? Are you able to cover non-UK residents?

We define a UK resident as being someone who has been living in the UK or the Channel Islands for at least six months, has a permanent UK address and is registered with a GP. Unfortunately, if you do not fit this criteria, we would not be able to provide you with cover.

Can you insure non-UK residents?

As long as you have been living in the UK or the Channel Islands for the past 6 months, have a permanent UK address and are registered with a GP, InsureandGo can provide you with cover.

I’ve left the UK and forgotten to get insurance. Can I still get cover with you?

Unfortunately, we are not able to cover you if you have already left the UK.

Destination and regions

Do you insure trips within the UK?

Yes, all our policies cover trips within the UK, as long as you have booked overnight accommodation.

(For policies purchased before 1st September 2021, you need to have booked accommodation outside a 25 mile radius of your home address.)

What countries do InsureandGo policies cover?

Yes, all our policies cover trips within the UK, as long as you have booked overnight accommodation.

We provide cover for all countries, unless the FCDO has advised againt all or all-but-essential travel. The exception to this is where the FCDO advice against travel is only due to Coronavirus – InsureandGo policies purchased after 18th October 2021 offer some cover in these circumstances (see our page about Coronavirus travel insurance for more details).

For InsureandGo policies purchased after 18th October 2021, you can enter your destination country when buying single trip cover, or choose an annual multi-trip policiy covering one of the following regions:

If you are unsure which area your trip falls into, please contact our customer services team.

Where is Lapland?

The Lapland region stretches across Finland and Sweden and is included under our European travel insurance policies.

What if I am travelling to more than one country?

No problem – we can cover you to travel to multiple destinations as part of one trip.

If you’re buying single trip travel insurance, just let us know the countries you’ll be visiting and we’ll give you a quote to cover all of them.

If you’re buying an annual multi-trip policy, you’ll need to make sure that you choose a region covering all your possible destinations.  The regions you can choose between are:

For more information see our policy wording booklets or contact us.

I have a European annual multi-trip policy but I will now be travelling outside of Europe. Can I upgrade my policy?

Yes, you can – if you’re travelling outside Europe you can upgrade your annual multi-trip policy to include worldwide travel insurance for an additional premium. Please contact us to arrange this, before setting off on your trip.

You could also purchase a separate single trip policy, but upgrading your annual multi-trip policy to include worldwide cover might work out cheaper.

I am travelling to Cuba. Will I need to purchase additional medical cover upon entry?

No. Provided you have an InsureandGo travel insurance policy with cover for medical expenses included, you will not need to purchase additional cover. However, you should check the FCDO travel advice for Cuba, as entry rules can change quickly, and there may be other requirements.

Buying an InsureandGo policy

How can I buy a travel insurance policy?

You can purchase a travel insurance policy online in just a few minutes. Click here to get a quote and buy your travel insurance online.

If I purchase online, are my details secure?

At InsureandGo, we take data protection very seriously. When you submit your personal and payment details to InsureandGo online, they are encrypted to ensure that no-one else can read them. You can confirm this by looking for the padlock icon which appears either next to the address bar or in the status bar on the payment page. We also hold your details according to the Data Protection Act 1998. Please note that InsureandGo do not hold your payment details.

How can I pay for my travel insurance?

You can pay for your travel insurance using a credit or debit card. We accept the following credit and debit cards:

  • VISA
  • MasterCard

Payments by credit or debit card are instant but may take time to show on your statement.

When should I start my travel insurance?

The start date for single trip travel insurance should be the date you leave for your holiday. Cover for cancellation on these policies starts from the date of purchase.

If you are purchasing annual multi-trip travel insurance, you are only covered from the date you choose to start your policy – so if you want to be covered for cancellation straight away, the policy start date will need to be the date you pay for the policy.

I can’t find a policy that’s suitable. Are you able to help me?

We can help you by offering you a range of different travel insurance choices to help you decide what might be appropriate for you. If you don’t see what you’re looking for online, please contact us.

Can children aged under 18 be covered on their own policy?

For InsureandGo policies purchased after 18th October 2021, children under 18 need to be travelling with an adult who is also named on the policy in order to be covered. This means that they can’t have their own policy.

I am having trouble paying online. Can you help me?

If you are having trouble paying for your travel insurance online, make sure you check all of your personal and payment details. Ensure you have selected the correct card type and entered your full card number. Check the expiry and/or valid from date has been entered correctly. Also, make sure you have entered the correct security code (CVC). This code is the last three digits shown on the back of your card over the signature strip.

If you are still having problems processing your payment, please contact us.

What are my cancellation rights?

All our policies include a 14-day cooling-off period, during which you’re entitled to a full refund as long as you haven’t travelled or claimed on the policy.

If you wish to cancel your policy outside of the cooling-off period, and haven’t travelled or claimed on the policy, then please contact us as we may be able to offer a partial refund in some specific circumstances.

To cancel your travel insurance and claim your refund, you will need to contact us in writing or by email.

To cancel by email, send your request to [email protected].

To cancel by post, send a letter to:

Insure & Go Insurance Services Ltd
Maitland House
Warrior Square

How is my policy delivered?

We can deliver your policy by email or by post. Please be aware that the posted documents can take up to 10 working days to arrive. The emailed documents can take up to 5 minutes to arrive in your inbox.

What you are covered for

When does the cover begin and end on my policy?

If you have purchased single trip travel insurance, you are covered for cancellation of your trip from and including the date of purchase. If you have purchased an annual multi-trip policy, cover only starts on the chosen start date of your policy. For example, if you chose to start your annual travel insurance on the 1st December, you will not be covered if you need to cancel your holiday on any date before the 1st December.

What is the maximum trip length?

Single trip policies can cover you for a one-off trip of up to 365 days.

Annual policies cover multiple trips, but each one has a duration limit.

For annual travel insurance purchased after 18th October 2021, the individual trip limits are:

Budget – 31 days

Silver and Gold – 45 days

Black – 55 days

(For annual policies bought before 1st September 2021, please check your policy wording.)

What is an excess?

The excess is the amount that you would need to pay towards a claim. For example, if you make a claim of £1000 and the excess is £60, you will only be able to claim back the remaining £940. The excess amount is displayed in the policy wording booklet.

Can I change the excess on my policy?

When you buy your policy, you can choose between standard excess, double excess or you can remove the excess for most types of claim. If you double the excess on the policy, it makes the policy slightly cheaper and if you remove the excess, the policy price is slightly higher.

What are the terms and conditions?

You must make sure that you read the terms and conditions of your travel insurance policy carefully so you know what you are covered for. You can download PDF copies of the policy wording booklets (which contain the full policy terms and conditions) here.

Are there any exclusions to the policy?

To check the policy exclusions, take a look at the policy wording booklet that is relevant to the policy that you have or are interested in purchasing. You can download a copy of the policy wording booklets.

Please note that we only offer limited cover for claims relating to Coronavirus. For further information on this, please read about our Coronavirus travel insurance.

Am I covered for cancellation?

All of our travel insurance policies include cover for cancellation of your trip, but there may be some exclusions. For example, you won’t be covered to cancel for something you knew about before buying your insurance or booking your trip, and you won’t be covered to cancel if you simply decide not to go. To read the terms and conditions that apply to cancellation cover, please read the relevant policy wording booklet.

Are my golf clubs covered?

We can cover your golf clubs up to the valuables limit as defined on your policy. We also provide additional golf travel insurance on our single trip and annual multi-trip policies. This includes extra cover for your golf equipment, cover for hiring golf equipment if yours is delayed, lost or damaged and also cover for green fees. To read more about our golf cover, please read our policy wordings. If you have any further questions please contact us.

What is the definition of Personal Accident?

Personal Accident cover is a seperate, additional benefit on our travel insurance, and is in addition to our standard cover for medical expenses.

Under the Personal Accident section of your insurance, we will pay you or your executors or administrators up to the maximum limit as defined by your policy, if you are involved in an accident during your trip which causes you an injury, and this accident is the only thing that results in you becoming disabled within 12 months of the date of the accident. We will pay for the following:

  1. Your permanent total disability caused by an accident during your trip that:
    a. stops you from working in any job you are qualified for;
    b. lasts for 12 months; and
    c. our medical advisor believes is not going to improve at the end of those 12 months.
  2. The permanent loss of use of one or more of your limbs, at or above the wrist or ankle.
  3. Irrecoverable loss of sight (see definition below) in one or both eyes for a period of at least 12 months.
  4. If you die, we will pay the amount shown in the table of benefits on page 4 (this is limited for children aged under 18).

Loss of sight

Means total and irrecoverable loss of sight which shall be considered as having occurred:

  1. In both eyes if your name is added to the Register of Blind Persons on the authority of a fully qualified ophthalmic specialist; and
    b. In one eye if the degree of sight remaining after correction is 3/60 or less on the Snellen scale (which means you are only able to see at 3 feet that which you should normally be able to see at 60 feet) and we are in no doubt that the condition is permanent and without expectation of recovery.

If you have further questions about Personal Accident cover, please contact us.

Am I covered for foreseen events (e.g. planned strike action or forecasted weather)?

We are unable to provide cover for events that were known about at the time you booked your holiday or purchased your travel insurance.

Medical cover and health conditions

Who do I contact in the event of a medical emergency?

Please contact our medical emergency team as soon as possible. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I have pre-existing medical conditions. Can I get cover for these on my policy too?

Yes, we offer travel insurance for medical conditions. You can declare your conditions quickly and easily using our online medical screening system.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?

A pre-existing medical condition is any medical condition for which any person insured on this policy has:

  • Taken any prescribed medication or received medical treatment within the last 2 years
  • Been registered in or outpatient at a hospital, clinic or GP surgery in the last 2 years.
  • Been advised of a terminal illness.

You must inform InsureandGo of any pre-existing medical conditions you have before purchasing insurance. To do so, you can use our quick and easy online medical screening system.

For your information, examples of conditions that can directly or indirectly be linked to any pre-existing medical condition include, but are not limited to:

  • Someone with breathing difficulties who then suffers a chest infection of any kind;
  • Someone with high blood pressure or diabetes who then has a heart attack, stroke or mini-stroke;
  • Someone who has or has had cancer who suffers with a secondary cancer; or
  • Someone with osteoporosis who then suffers with a broken or fractured bone.

If cover is refused for my pre-existing medical condition, am I still covered?

We will not cover any claim directly or indirectly linked to any declared and excluded pre-existing medical conditions where we cannot offer cover for the condition(s). The rest of your travel insurance cover will not be affected by this exclusion.

Do I need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before travelling?

British citizens should carry a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), whenever they travel in Europe. This will cover any necessary treatments you may receive at public healthcare centres or hospitals on your trip. However, it’s important to remember to still have European travel insurance in place to be able to cover the costs of any unexpected medical treatment the EHIC or GHIC might not cover.

I already have a policy but I’ve recently been diagnosed with a new medical condition. What do I do?

If you already have a policy and there has been a change in your medical status, please contact us.

Do you cover pregnancy?

We provide cover under this policy if something unexpected happens. In particular, we provide cover under section B – Medical and other expenses for injuries to the body or illness that was not expected.

We do not consider pregnancy or childbirth to be an illness or injury. To be clear, we only provide cover under sections A – Cancelling and cutting short your holiday, B – Medical and other expenses and C – Hospital benefit of this policy, for claims that come from complications of pregnancy and childbirth. Please see our below definition of ‘Complications of pregnancy and childbirth’.

  • Toxaemia (toxins in the blood)
  • Gestational diabetes (diabetes arising as a result of pregnancy)
  • Gestational hypertension (high blood pressure arising as a result of pregnancy)
  • Pre-eclampsia (where you develop high blood pressure, carry abnormal fluid and have protein in your urine during the second half of pregnancy)
  • Ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy that develops outside of the uterus)
  • Molar pregnancy or hydatidiform mole (a pregnancy in which a tumour develops from the placental tissue)
  • Post-partum haemorrhage (excessive bleeding following childbirth)
  • Retained placenta membrane (part or all of the placenta is left behind in the uterus after delivery)
  • Placental abruption (part or all of the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus)
  • Hyperemesis gravidarum (excessive vomiting as a result of pregnancy)
  • Obstetric cholestasis
  • Placenta praevia (when the placenta is in the lower part of the uterus and covers part or all of the cervix)
  • Stillbirth
  • Miscarriage
  • Emergency Caesarean section
  • A termination needed for medical reasons
  • Premature birth more than 8 weeks (or 16 weeks if you know you are having more than one baby) before the expected delivery date.
  • Foetal Growth Retardation due to Placental Insufficiency

If you purchase travel insurance while pregnant and you know that you will be 33 to 40 weeks pregnant during your trip, you will be unable to claim cancellation for your trip. In the event that you make a claim for any medical costs, our claims team will ask you for confirmation from your doctor that you were fit to travel.

For further information, please contact our customer services team.

I have a European Health Insurance Card (formerly known as an E111). Do I still need travel insurance?

Yes, you do.

British citizens should carry a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), whenever travelling in Europe. This will cover any necessary treatments you may receive at public healthcare centres or hospitals on your trip. However, it’s important to remember to still have travel insurance to Europe in place to be able to cover the costs of any unexpected medical treatment the EHIC or GHIC might not cover, or to cover repatriation.

Is dental treatment covered?

Our policies provide up to £250 for emergency dental treatment to enable you to immediately relieve pain.

Making a claim

How do I make a claim?

Please contact our medical emergency team as soon as possible. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I don’t have receipts for my personal items. Can I still make a claim?

It is highly recommended that receipts are kept and provided as proof in the event of a claim. However, we reserve the right to apply an additional 10% deduction to any item claimed with a value over £100, following our standard deductions for age, wear and tear and loss of value, where you cannot prove you own it or provide proof of purchase (e.g. original receipts).

If you have any further questions, please contact us.

Changing an existing policy

Can I change my policy?

If you have purchased a travel insurance policy from InsureandGo and you don’t feel that it’s the right policy for you, or you have noticed a problem with your insurance, please contact us as soon as possible. You have a 14 day cooling-off period, we will be able to cancel your existing policy and issue you with a full refund as long as you contact us within this period and you haven’t travelled or claimed on the policy. To arrange this, please contact us.

I need to amend the address or contact details on my policy. How can I do this?

If you need to amend the address or contact details on your travel insurance policy, please contact our customer services team here.

Can I change the names of the insured persons on my policy before I travel?

If you need to amend the name of one of the travellers before you go, you can do so. Please note that we would need confirmation of the name change (for example, a marriage or Deed Poll certificate). We can only change the name of a traveller if their new name is reflected on their passport, and we are unable to replace travellers with another person. Please contact us if you to wish to amend a traveller’s name.

Can I extend my cover whilst I am away?

It’s important to arrange cover for your entire trip before leaving the UK.

If, due to unforeseen circumstances beyond your control and covered by the policy, you get stuck abroad and are unable to return as planned, we will extend your cover for up to 30 days free of charge. Please see the policy wording for more details.

Hazardous activities and sports

What hazardous or dangerous activities am I covered for?

All of our travel policies include free cover for over 100 sports and other leisure activities, such as bungee jumping and jet skiing. Read the policy wording to see the list of activities that are covered as standard.

Some of the more extreme activities, like sky diving, aren’t covered automatically and you’ll need to add our extreme sports cover. You’ll need to pay an additional premium by either adding our Hazardous activities option at the time of purchasing your policy or by contacting us.

Am I covered for scuba diving when I go travelling?

Scuba diving travel insurance is included with all our policies, provided you will be diving no deeper than 30 metres. If you are a qualified scuba diver and will be diving more than 30 metres, you will need to pay an additional premium by either adding our online hazardous activities option at the time of purchasing your policy or by contacting us to add this cover.

Am I covered for bungee jumping when I go travelling?

Yes, you are covered for up to 3 bungee jumps free on all of our travel insurance policies.

Am I covered for white water rafting when I go travelling?

InsureandGo cover white or black water rafting (grades 1 to 3) free on all our travel insurance policies. If you will be taking part in white or black water rafting (grades 4 to 6), you will need to pay an additional premium for extreme sports travel insurance. Either add Hazardous Activities at the time of purchasing your policy or by contacting us to add this cover to your existing travel insurance policy.

I will be doing an activity that the terms and conditions state there is no personal accident/personal liability cover for. What does this mean?

If you will be doing an activity that the terms and conditions state there is no Personal Accident or Personal Liability cover for, it is just these two sections of your travel insurance that will be excluded. If you have an accident and injure yourself, you will still be covered for medical expenses, but you will not be able to claim under the separate Personal Accident or Personal Liability sections.

Winter sports

What activities are covered with your winter sports travel insurance?

We cover all of the following activities in our winter sports travel insurance:

  • Bobsleighing*
  • Cat skiing
  • Cross country skiing
  • Freestyle skiing*
  • Glacier walking or trekking (under 3000m)
  • Ice climbing under 100m (fully supervised)*
  • Ice fishing
  • Ice hockey*
  • Luge on snow/ice*
  • Monoskiing
  • Off piste skiing/snowboarding (except in areas considered to be unsafe by resort management)
  • Recreational ski or snowboard racing
  • Skeletons*
  • Ski acrobatics*
  • Ski bob racing*
  • Ski racing or training (non-professional)*
  • Ski stunting*
  • Ski touring (with a guide)
  • Ski/snowboard fun parks*
  • Skiing
  • Snow mobiling*
  • Snowboarding
  • Tobogganing.

Please note: Activities in the above list marked with * carry an increased medical excess of £250 and cover under the Personal accident and Personal liability sections does not apply.

You will not be covered if you take part in the following winter sports activities: Ski flying, ski jumping or ski mountaineering.

If you have any further questions, please contact us.

Do you provide travel insurance cover for a whole season?

If you are looking for cover for the whole season, our single trip travel insurance can cover trips of up to 12 months.

For annual multi-trip travel insurance , winter sports cover is limited to 17 days per year.

In both cases, you’ll need to add winter sports cover to your policy in order to be covered.

Am I covered if I am a ski instructor or if I am going to ski instructor school?

Unfortunately, we can only cover ski and ski training on a non-professional basis.

I have a question that isn’t answered here. What do I do?

If you still have a question that you would like an answer for, please contact us. You might also find the answer in our policy wording booklets, which you can find here