Travel Insurance for Gadgets
Do you have a gadget you can’t do without? Plenty of us do these days, and that doesn’t change just because you’re on holiday. That piece of technology can be even more vital when we’re abroad. Whether it’s the mobile phone you use to translate or the camera you’re capturing your trip with, we all have something we want to ensure is protected while on holiday.
That’s where travel insurance with gadget cover comes in. This specialist type of InsureandGo travel insurance gives you extra protection for your most valuable items. We can include this additional cover on any of our policies, including worldwide travel insurance.
|Benefit||Standard Budget cover||Standard Silver cover||Standard Gold cover||Standard Black cover||Valuables insurance add-on|
|Total valuables amount||£100||£200||£400||£600||Up to £2,0002|
|Single article, pair or set limit||£100||£200||£300||£500||Up to £1,000|
What’s Covered in Our Travel Insurance Gadget Cover?
So what’s covered on an InsureandGo gadget insurance policy? When you add extra valuables cover to your policy, we can cover all of the items listed below, up to £2,000 total cover, with a limit of up to £1,000 per single item.
- Photographic, audio, video and electrical equipment (including CDs, DVDs, video and audio tapes and electronic games)
- MP3 players
- games consoles
- personal organisers
- eReaders (including eBooks and Kindles)
- computer equipment
- tablet PCs (including iPads)
- netbook computers
- e-cigarettes and associated vapour liquids
- leather goods
- animal skins
- precious stones and items made of or containing gold, silver or precious metals
- hearing aids
- sports and leisure equipment (e.g. bicycle)
- musical instruments
- mobile phones and mobile phone accessories
Gadget cover is an excellent addition to our activity travel insurance, allowing you to cover your sports and leisure equipment up to a higher limit. If you have our winter sports travel insurance, you can also increase the cover for your winter sports equipment with gadget insurance.
Travel insurance for laptops
If you’re travelling with a laptop our travel insurance for gadgets will protect you from loss, theft or damage while on your trip.
Camera travel insurance
Our gadget travel insurance also protects cameras, which is fantastic news for those who love to take plenty of holiday snaps.
Phone travel insurance
Phones are convenient to have with you on holiday, working as everything from sat navs to translators, and letting us keep in touch with our loved ones at home. Make sure your phone is covered with travel Insurance including gadget cover.
Events covered by our gadget travel insurance
Our gadget travel insurance covers your items for loss, theft or damage while on holiday, but terms and conditions apply.
|Covered under gadget travel insurance||Not covered under gadget travel insurance|
|Loss of items||Property you leave unattended (other than in your locked accommodation)|
|Theft of items||Any items that you lose or are stolen which you did not report to the police within 24 hours of discovering it, and which you do not get a written police report for.|
|An item needing to be repaired or replaced following accidental damage||Any items that you lose or are stolen or damaged while they are not in your control or whilst they are in the control of an airline or carrier|
What you are covered for
After taking off an amount for age, wear and tear and loss of value, we will reimburse you for a valuable item that you have lost or that has been damaged or stolen during your trip. The maximum payment for any one item will be £1000 with a total payment for all items of £2000.
Please note: we reserve the right to apply an additional 10% deduction to any item claimed with a value over £100, following our standard deductions for age, wear and tear and loss of value, where you cannot prove you own it or provide proof of purchase (e.g. original receipts).
Gadget Travel Insurance Exclusions
While we are happy to provide cover for your valuables and gadgets, there are some exclusions to our gadget travel insurance. For example, we will not cover the following under travel gadget insurance;
- downloaded content such as music, books or games
- prepaid minutes you have not used on your mobile phone, or mobile phone rental charges
- fragile items such as china or glass
For a full list of exclusions, please see the policy wording booklet for your chosen level of cover.
Helpful Tips to Keep Your Gadgets and Valuables Safe
While gadget travel insurance protects you should your items be lost, stolen or damaged, it is better to avoid this by following some simple steps.
- Always keep your items on you, or store them in a safe in your accommodation. Keeping your items secure or on your person severely limits opportunities for them to be stolen or damaged.
- Invest in protection for your items. A decent, sturdy cover and screen protector can protect your items from accidental damage while on holiday.
- Backup your data. Before you leave for your trip, ensure you create a digital backup of all your information.
- Turn off data roaming on your phone. Avoid unexpected costs by switching off your mobile data abroad unless this is included with your plan.
- Remember your chargers. Ensure you’ve packed all your chargers in your hand luggage before leaving for the airport.
- Be cyber safe. Cyber security is just as important as physical security while on holiday. Check out our cyber security tips for travelling.
You should also read our top 10 travel hacks and our 6 essential travel hacks for a comfortable and enjoyable flight.
Gadget Cover FAQs
What is travel insurance gadget cover?
Does travel insurance include gadgets?
Travel insurance does cover many items as standard, but gadget travel insurance protects your items up to a higher limit.
Does travel insurance cover for loss of mobile phones?
InsureandGo policies cover the loss or theft of mobile phones while on a trip. However, you should check the cover limits, and if necessary, take out our extra valuables cover to protect your phone.
Do I need travel insurance gadget cover?
To ensure your valuable items are covered sufficiently, you should buy gadget cover for your InsureandGo policy.
How do I add gadget insurance to my policy?
When you buy your policy online, select the “valuables extension” add-on to your policy. Alternatively you can call our UK-based call centre and our team will guide you through the process.
You can also add valuables cover to an existing policy by contacting us.
WHAT OUR EXPERTS SAY
Nick Heady says, “Don’t underestimate how important your gadgets can be when you travel. We rely on mobile phones for so many things. While it may be nice to enjoy some time away from your screen while on holiday, it’s still a vital piece of equipment. You may not realise how important it is until you can’t use it.”
So wherever your travels take you, ensure your most important items are appropriately covered with gadget travel insurance from InsureandGo. Remember to arrange it as soon as you book your trip.